Glug Glug Jugs were originally made by Thomas Forester & son in Staffordshire in 1867.
Passing through various manufacturing hands, it ended up with Royal Winton & Grimwades Pottery in the 1930's. However, after the second world war, wartime restrictions meant that the pottery couldn't keep up with demand, and so a deal was struck with the newly opened Dartmouth Pottery. Manufacture moved to Devon, while glazing and decoration remained in Staffordshire.
Dartmouth pottery used the jug to advertise Plymouth Gin, and then in 1958 the Gluggle's profile rose when a pair of green jugs, embossed with Royal insignia, were presented to the Queen and Prince Philip during a visit to Britannia Naval College.
After the closure of Dartmouth Pottery in 2002, the production of the Gluggle returned to Staffordshire. Gluggle Ltd - established in 2009 by Rosie Granger and Jane Joyce - now has exclusive rights to market the jugs on behalf of Wade Ceramics.
Produced in a range of contemporary colours, the Gluggle has since found popularity in the US.
We visited Wade Ceramics in December 2018 and were taken through the whole manufacturing process at the Bessemer & Longton factories. It was fantastic to see the production process from start to finish, and to meet the people behind the craftsmanship of the Gluggle.